Now, maybe there is NOTHING wrong with dashing through the madness of the airport during the holidays in your Lululemons (your mother isn’t going to give a sh*t what you show up in as long as you show up right?) but in case you don’t have the luxury of such a casual arrival and have visions of a chic landing dancing in your head, read on.
What in your bag?
Before you can sip on that delicious mai tai and really enjoy the fruits of your labor, first you need to survive getting there. Flying on a regular basis is bad enough, it’s exponentially worse during the holidays. Grumpy travelers, harassed workers, and angry parents yelling at their uncontrollably bored children. Insulate yourself from this black hole of emotions also known as the airport by dressing chic, being prepared, and proceed to sail above it all.
Get ready for my piece by piece guide to the perfect traveling outfit from easy to find sources and your favorite local retailers. And the best part is, you most likely already have a few of these in your closet!
Layering is key to staying comfortable. It can be tempting to throw on a big warm chunky sweater and call it a day, but unpredictable temperatures throughout the airport and on the flight itself can make you sweat your make up right off if you’re wearing too much or have you shivering in a long miserable flight if you’re wearing too little. Try these soft tees below, and go tunic length if you’re planning on leggings or tights.
01. Zara Tee – soft graphic tee, so comfy // 02. Modcloth Henley Tunic – Henleys are casual and chic at the same time! // 03. Aritzia Split Hem Tank – perfect to layer on and chic on its own. // 04. Free People Cowl Neck Tunic – long and cozy. // 05. Free People Swing Tee – comfortable with sporty details. // 06. Betabrand Two Piece Tunic – an asymmetric tunic tank and a separate crop long sleeve top, a perfect traveling ensemble!
2nd Layer / Sweaters and Cardis
Looking well put together is easy with the right second layer, AND it keeps you cozy when it’s chilly and removable if that plane cabin gets stuffy! Try a cropped length sweater if wearing a tunic length tee, or a cool asymmetric hem cardi for some variation.
01. Zara Graphic Sweater – Soft and adorable. // 02. Oak Funnel Neck Sweatshirt – funnel necks double as a hood and scarf // 03. Betabrand 50/50 Cardigan – Another Betabrand invention, convertible from a sweater to a cardi! // 04. Betabrand Red Eye Shurg – A handy hood for shut eyes, and hidden pockets for traveling essentials. // 05. Aritzia Ionic Cape – short open sleeves make it a breeze to layer. // 06. AllSaints Itat Convertible Shrug – can’t get enough of these convertibles, from cross front to a keyhole back cardi.
I like to stay away from jeans on flights and go with softer fabrics. Stretchy leggings allows for comfy movement while looser wovens like joggers feel totally lived in and pairs great with sneakers or boots. Winter weight maxi skirts are also an ultra comfortable option.
01. Aritiza Feliz Pants – Minute details make these joggers casual yet stylish. // 02. Nike Printed Leggings – a staple pair of fun printed leggings. // 03. Aritzia Skirt – be prepared for attention in this faux suede asymmetrically cut skirt. // 04. Betabrand Dress/Yoga Pants – dress pants details in the comfort of yoga pants fabric? Better believe it! // 05. Aritzia Joggers – classic pair of woven joggers. // 06. Free People Leggings – piping details and a cute crop length make these the perfect runaround leggings.
This ain’t time for those glitter heels – but that doesn’t mean your feet can’t be dressed! I personally always opt for boots; it’s nice to have socks on so you don’t have to walk barefoot over that nasty airport TSA carpet. Ugh. Anyway, check out these stylish functional options below.
01. Asos Mouse Face Flats – Too adorable for words. // 02. Free People Ankle Boots – so soft, and easy to slip off. // 03. Eileen Fisher Mid Calf Boots – Mid calf length gives the illusion of tall boots with the benefit of gymnastics-free removal. // 04. Zara Ankle Boots – contrast elastic panels makes these a breeze to slip on. // 05. Zara Plimsoll – the classic simple sneaks every girl should own! // 06. Mango Slip On Sneaks – go hipster with these, pairs well with anything!
I recommend not going with your usual bag unless it’s big enough to fit your valuables like laptop, camera, etc. Keep those out of the carry on, just in case your carry on ends up getting checked due to a full/overbooked flight, which like, never happens. And God forbid it gets lost. Check out some roomy bags below.
01. Zara Tote – Large and spacious for all your travel essentials. // 02. Street Level Tote – love the smaller interior organization pouch, plus it’s reversible! // 03. Fossil Satchel – classic good looks. // 04. Asos Shopper – bang for your buck with wide comfy straps and braided detail. // 05. Forever 21 Tote – simple and straightforward. // 06. Herschel Supply Tote – a dependable bag that’s shaped to fit your laptop and all other goodies.
Running through the airport is a hot mess, and you’ll want to avoid easy to break jewelry – anything that’s too delicate or breakable that can catch or get yanked during TSA or hauling your carry on to and from those pesky overhead bins. Keeping it simple here is the key to happiness; there’s already too much on your mind without adding the stress of losing or breaking a favorite piece. A few layered necklaces, stack on your favorite rings, and throw on a pair of low maintenance earrings. Grab a seasonal scarf, and you’re off to the races. Find some of my favorite travel accessories below.
01. Madewell Ring // 02. Inconnue Double Layer Necklace // 03. Aritzia Scarf // 04. Aloha Gaia Ear Jackets // 05. Betabrand Purse Wallet // 06. Zara Blanket Scarf // 07. Pinch Provisions Shemergency Kit // 08. Topshop Fringe Scarf
A Few More Inspirations…
Here are some additional idea boards to get your creativity flowing:
A few last minute tips for your carry on: always keep a “disaster bag” in it with items for night survival like mouthwash and fresh wipes in case of canceled flights and you have no access to your checked luggage. Kits like the Shemergency from Pinch Provisions are great; you can easily make your own though to save some money, but only if you can pass up that adorable little tiny pouch. Throw in a pair of fresh underwear too, trust me on this one.
There you have it ladies, these fail proof wardrobe pieces are your guide to navigating the skies with style; you’ll be sure to catch jealous glances from harassed travelers as you breeze through the grounds slowly sipping on that nice hot latte. Mmm…bliss.
What are some of your tried and true travel outfit tips? Drop me a line below!